Pages

Monday, January 7, 2013

Coloring for Grown-ups




Who said crayons are only fun for kids? Here's a fun way to create "fridge worthy" pieces of art to decorate your dorm with.

What you'll need:
- A Cardboard box (or canvas)
- White Paint
- A Hot Glue gun
- Crayons (mine ended up needing two 24-count boxes, but it'll depend on your design)
- A Hair dryer


I ordered all my textbooks online over break, so when the boxes started to pile up, I decided that they would make the perfect backdrop for my latest crafting escapade. Instead of going out to buy poster board or canvas, I just painted one of the boxes white. Later I decided to cut the box in half, just so it didn't stick out so far from the wall, but that is completely your preference.


The next step is to line up the crayons in the order you want them. I decided to do a rainbow this time, but there are so many cool designs out there to choose from. Hot glue each one into place (mine hang off a little because its a small box, but we'll fix it later, don't worry). I reccomend a high-temp glue gun, just because it is sturdier and less likely to melt when the crayons do, but whatever you have will work fine.


Here comes the fun part. Tip your board up and find something to lean it against. You're gonna want to put something down underneath it so you don't get wax everywhere. Grab a hair dryer (isn't mine pretty!) and point it at the crayons. It takes a little time to get started, so if you're impatient like me, try to hang in there. It's worth it. Start by working on little sections, and then pick it up and move it around under the hot wind to get different patterns.

***Important tip!! If you are using cheap crayons like I did, they are going to start to sweat. I recommend grabbing a napkin and wiping down the wrappers of the crayons as it starts. This way the wax is thicker when it runs***


I wanted to add the words at the bottom, but realize that the wax basically has a mind of its own. I had to move the text over, but in the end I liked it better that way anyway.


One of the last things I decided to do was cut the tops off the crayons, right down to the top of the board I was using. I think it looks cleaner this way, but if you used a bigger board or like the way they look hanging off, by all means leave them. If you are in my situation and you want to trim them, however, now is the time. Grab a knife or a pair of scissors and slice right down to where you want them. The wax should still be pretty soft, so they are super easy to trim.


And there you have it!! Beautiful, inspirational artwork to hang around your room. The possibilities are endless, and it can be made to fit anyone's style. Dream on, and as always, happy crafting!!

No comments:

Post a Comment