Pages

Thursday, January 17, 2013

De-cluttering Cards






My mom was asking me to clean my room before I left for my second semester, but when I went to put left over books on my shelf, I found all of these instead; cards from every celebration over the last 2 years. Who knew they could take up so much space?! Of course I couldn't throw all these kind sentiments away (although I did weed through the ones that just had a signature), so instead I created a crafting opportunity.

Here's what you'll need:
-old sentimental cards
-composition notebook
-Mod Podge
-printer paper
-tissue paper (or construction paper)
- a button and string


I went into the craft closet and found several of these. They are cheap, but over the years my brother and I decided that they were our least favorite school supply. I liked the black binding, but the cover needed some work.


The first step is to cover the top with white computer paper. Cover the front in Mod Podge and then place the paper over it. Smooth it out as best you can, but it is going to be kinda bumpy, so don't worry too much about it.


Turn over the cover and use the same technique to seal the other side. Fold the paper and pull it taught. Paint more Mod Podge over the edges to make sure its secure.


The next part is the fun step: Decorating!! I love this combination of colors, but you could do any design or pattern. If you don't have tissue paper on hand, (TIP: I save it from all gifts to use later) construction paper will work as well, it just won't blend like mine did. I added a script title, but that's also your call.


After looking at my stack of cards, I realized that this book was going to get pretty bulky. Adding a tie, like a journal, seemed like a good way to keep it together. I grabbed a needle and stitched the button to the front, sealing the knot with hot glue. You could just hot glue the button on, but I felt like this was a little more secure. Then, just use the same method to attach a string to the back. It needs to be long enough to safely go around the button twice. (TIP: the end of my string started splitting the moment  I cut it. Just run the end of the string through Mod Podge, and it seals together without a problem.)

1

2

3

Then you get to put the cards in! I organized them by occasion (sweet 16, graduation, etc). The hardest part was deciding how to put them in. (1) Most of the cards I ripped down the seam and put on opposite sides of the page, but some (2) could fit on a single page, which saves some volume in the book. The third (3) option involves cards that can't be glued down the same way, often because they had writing on the entire inside. Gluing them down this way allowed them to still be opened, but it took up a lot more depth.


Tie it together and you're all set!! Now, like me, you'll have a way to hoard cards for years to come (sorry mom!). Let your cover represent you, and may the cards forever make you smile. As always, Happy Crafting!!

No comments:

Post a Comment