Pages

Sunday, January 6, 2013

Eggshell Necklace





Yep, you read that right: this necklace is made from a real eggshell!! So simply steal a hard-boiled egg from the dining hall and you've got both a snack and a great new accessory.

Here's what'll you need:
- 1 eggshell (this will actually make 4-8 necklaces, depending on size)
- a wooden tag
- Mod Podge (see? it almost always plays a role in crafting)
- nail polish
- art medium (other people use things like dimensional magic- basically anything that can coat the top)
- a jump ring



The first thing that you have to do is soak your eggshell so all lining comes off. Really hot water causes it to peel off in about 20 minutes, just long enough to get all your supplies together. You can use your thumb to rub off any of the skin left on the eggshell after you've soaked it, and you can tell when its gone because the shell becomes very easy to crumble. In the end you want to end up with something like this. (I used the end of my paintbrush to break it up into even smaller pieces because my tag was so small.)




My mom had a ton of these little wooden pieces lying around from years of boyscout meetings and school projects, so the hardest part for me was choosing which one I wanted to use. I decided I liked the size and shape of the teardrop one, but I may go back and make a heart one too.



Here's where the Mod Podge comes into play again. Put a thick coating over the top of the wood and then sprinkle the shells over the top. You can use a toothpick to settle them and move the pieces around, but I liked the way it looked with some of the pieces sticking up a little bit. Just move them around until you like the way it looks. Then let it dry, usually about an hour or 2.


Here's the first thrifty college tip! Many people suggest that you use fancy craft inks and paints to do this next step. I didn't really feel like buying a little jar of paint I would use once, so instead I used nail polish, because pretty much every college girl I know has plenty to choose from. The color I used had dimension to it, which gave the finished piece an extra cool look. Just pour a little of it out onto wax paper and dab it into the cracks of the pendant with a paint brush. Make sure to get the sides and back of it as well so its all one color.

***The other cool thing about using nail polish is the quick drying time. Take a manicure break, and its all ready for the next step when you are***


Having a brother who is big into art made this step easier too. He found an old jar of art medium for me to use, but anything that will put a dimensional clear coating over the shells will work. Paint it on liberally. This step takes the most time to dry, but it is definitely important, so I left it overnight.


This is how it looks when its done. All that's left is putting a hole in the top and borrowing your favorite chain from another necklace. Wear it for your next night out, and just think, your nails can match!! It's a fun and inexpensive way to add flair to your wardrobe. Happy Crafting!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment